Why Businesses Create Downloadable White Papers
What a white paper is, what it includes, and why you might benefit from creating one.
What is a white paper?
A white paper is a research or report guide that influences the reader towards making a positive decision towards your company. Blogger Amy Xiong writes, “They [white papers] are considered to be the most influential form of business collateral, and 76% of people have used white papers as part of their decision making efforts.”
What does an audience-first white paper include?
First, and importantly, a white paper should not include a sales pitch for your company. White papers are not meant to be ads or direct pitches; they are intended to provide value to the audience.
However, your white paper should include these three things:
- A topic related to your industry
- Research on the topic cited from reputable sources
- Quality content that will establish you as an industry expert
Why create a white paper at all?
There are four main reasons you need to create a white paper:
- Add value to potential and existing customers through education
- Generate leads and capture email addresses
- Build credibility
In fact, a survey of IT managers by Forbes.com and TechTarget showed that they read white papers for the following reasons:
- Stay on top of new trends (76%)
- Get information about products and vendors (69%)
- Compare products (50%)
- Help justify buying decisions (42%)
- Develop a short list of qualified vendors (33%).
But why make a white paper downloadable?
To make it easy for your audience! A downloadable white paper helps your audience access it easily. They can save or share it as needed. A PDF extends your white paper’s scope to being an easy-to-share piece of your valuable knowledge.
More from Black Raven
Since social media and video platforms have made their way into everyone’s pockets, video has become an indispensable tool for businesses looking to effectively market
The holiday season presents a golden opportunity for businesses to connect with their audience in compelling and memorable ways. In this guide, we’ll emphasize why